Flying the Pen-nant: Students Sign to Compete in College

Annabelle Snyder, Copy Editor

Nine seniors signed to various colleges in the Main Gym on National Signing Day, Nov. 14. The nine students committed to play sports including softball, soccer, baseball, cross country, swimming and golf. The schools these students signed to were all across the nation.

“There’s a lot of work that goes into it, and you know, out of all the kids who compete in high school, a very tiny percentage actually get to go, especially like the Division One Schools,” government teacher and swim coach Mr. Dale Villemez said. “That’s quite an accomplishment, and I’m really proud of them.”

Additionally, Villemez, who was a pole vaulter at The University of Texas, said that becoming a college athlete is no small feat. For cross country and track-and-field athlete Halena Rahmaan, choosing where she’ll spend the next four years was a not a fast decision. Rahmaan ultimately decided on The University of Texas at Austin after several visits there.

“I chose Texas because I felt like it had the most to offer academically and athletically,” Rahmaan said. “I really like the city of Austin also.”

Both Dillon Smith and Dalton Davis committed to play baseball at Blinn Community College. Blinn is a two-year college in College Station, Texas. Many students transfer from Blinn to Texas A&M University.

“The coaches reached out to me,” Smith said. “They have a great program there. I’m all about developing as a player, and that’s what they do there.”

For cross country and track-and-field athlete Allison Wilson, signing with The University of Alabama is the end of a long process, she said. The University of Alabama is a Division One school in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

“I started running freshman year,” Wilson said. “I think I knew sophomore year that I wanted to run competitively in college.”

Smith said that the finality of the signing process is thrilling.

“It feels official, so that’s exciting,” Smith said. “It just kind of hits you, that you’re going to be playing college ball.”