Hunger is Scary

Hunger is Scary

Jenna Karrer, Author

To help end hunger, the MHS and MJH Theatre Department participated in “Trick or Treat – So Kids Can Eat” by going door-to-door to collect cans on Sat., Oct. 27.

“Anytime you can give back to the community is really good,” Theatre Arts Teacher, Ms. Morgan said. “All of the food will be given to local food banks helping people in this area.”

Since Halloween typically sets off the holiday season, educational theatre started a nationwide food drive about 25 years ago. A lot of the national Thespian society troops, which Montgomery is a member of spend time doing local community service like this.

“I feel that it is important to participate in these events because you can promote what you love (theatre) and get to know the people in your community,” sophomore Kenzie Soape said. “It also feels wonderful to give back.”

28 students participated on Saturday morning and collected approximately 1300 pounds of food.

“I loved seeing the end result and knowing that it would all go towards someone who really needed it,” junior Lauren Maciariello said.

Soape said the turnout was as expected, but they hope more students will participate next year because “it was lots of fun.”

“As a theatre department, I think we also understand the importance of supporting our community before we ask them to come support us at our shows,” Maciariello said.

Freshman Mackenzie Gilland said she believes it is “important” to support our local community by giving back.

“Going out in the community and interacting with everyone not only makes the donation more personal, but connects us with our community,” Maciariello said.