Students Save Lives

Tatum Hunt (12)

Jenna Karrer, Author

Teaming together to save lives, National Honor Society and Health Occupations Students of America hosted a blood drive on Fri., Oct. 12 in the MHS Auditorium.

“I was nervous because of the needle, as most people would be,” senior Hailey Carrera said. “I was also excited because blood saves lives.”

Donating blood can be a stressful or scary experience, especially for students who have not previously donated.

“I was a little nervous because I hadn’t actually given blood before, but I wasn’t too worried,” senior Savanna Millhausen said.

One donation contains approximately a pint of blood, which has the potential to save up to three lives.

“Donating blood is important to me because it gives me the opportunity to save lives,” senior Dyson LeVasseur said.

Some students signed up to donate, but conflicts with sports or recent travels deferred them.

“I was upset because I had never given blood before and I was excited to finally do so,” senior Makaylin Nicholson said.

When students get deferred from donating, LeVasseur said it “shows the importance of everyone signing up.”

“A lot of people need blood, but most people don’t give blood even when they can,” Millhausen said.

Despite the students that were deferred or under the age of seventeen, there were a total of 91 donors, which means 141 lives were saved or extended.

“There are always people who are going to need blood especially during tragic accidents,” Nicholson said. “I believe that if you’re able to donate, there is no reason you shouldn’t.”

For students who did not donate this time, another blood drive will be hosted on Mar. 29 2019.

“I hope more people will realize the impact a small donation of blood can have on others,” LeVasseur said. “Losing a little bit of blood to save a few lives is worth it.”