Students Score Big

Jenna Karrer, Author

To congratulate students who scored a five on their AP test, the administration team gave out Cheez-its, chocolate and yard signs on Thurs., Oct. 4.

“I am proud of my accomplishment, but I am more grateful towards my teacher because she was fantastic,” senior Joy Jones-Luce said.

While Jones-Luce said she felt well prepared for her AP Calculus test because of her great teacher, Mrs. Burks, senior Daniel Seabolt felt prepared as a result of his resourcefulness.

“I was very shocked whenever I found out I got a five on all four tests,” Seabolt said. “I did feel prepared for all the tests though.”

Seabolt received a five on four tests: AP U.S. History, AP European History, AP Language Composition, and AP Physics 1.

“I was expecting to get maybe four’s and three’s, but not five’s,” Seabolt said.

AP allows students to take college-level classes while still in high school. At the end of each year, students take an AP test to determine if they will receive college credit. Scores are based on a scale of 1-5; five being the highest score.

“Make sure you are not learning for the test that your teacher is giving you because the end goal is not your grade at six weeks; the end goal is your grade for the AP test,” Jones-Luce said.

Both Jones-Luce and Seabolt agree it is important to understand material as the class progresses as well as review before the AP test.

“My advice would be take the initiative and review before the test,” Seabolt said. “Do not expect to know everything.”

Principal Brandi Hendrix said MHS has never had so many students achieve perfect scores on the AP test.

“I felt great about my accomplishment because I knew I would receive college credit, which is important to me,” senior Annabelle Snyder said.