Students Choose Between Virtual and In-Person

Emery Miller

Facing the decision of whether to continue with online school or to go back to in-person learning, students have the chance to stay with their decision or switch at the end of the six weeks on Nov. 2.

“In-person learning has its pros and cons,” freshman Natalee “Breezy” McMullen said. “It’s easier. You have paperwork you can physically turn in, but harder because you have to get from class to class.”

At MISD, 85% of students chose to return in person.

“I decided to do online school because in-person was getting stressful,” freshman Ashley Smith said. “I have allergies and wearing a mask does not help.”

Some students have learning disabilities and those disabilities can make learning online  harder.

“I chose in-person learning,”  McMullen said. “It’s easier for me because I have ADHD.”

With the pandemic going on, students also have their family’s well-being and health to worry about. According to Time Magazine, having all students back in class puts schools at the highest risk for COVID.

“I don’t want to get sick with COVID and bring harm to my family,” freshman Emily Hays said. “That’s why I chose online school.”

According to The College Spy, students who do more extra curricular activities during the pandemic, cope better. There are many different extracurricular activities students can partake in, but those require going back to school.

“A big reason I chose to do in-person learning is because of football,” senior Tre Harden said.

Sometimes going to school and being around so many people can bring up a lot of social anxiety.

“I really don’t want to deal with meeting strangers,” Hays said.

According to Medical News Today, isolation can really affect kids and teens, and texting just won’t cut it for some.

“I’m really grateful to finally see my friends again,” McMullen said. “It’s really difficult to know just how they’re feeling when we’re texting, so it’s good to see them face-to-face.”