Remote Learning Mug Snacks

Katie Jones, Author

During the pandemic, people have become creative with the different foods they can eat that were quick and easy. Especially now since some students are in remote learning, they have to make my mini meals quick, so they don’t miss their remote classes after lunch. People have been obsessed with making all sorts of recipes in a mug, from sweet to savory. The recipes are extremely easy and delicious and can equate to a meal with dessert! 

Student Comments

Although quarantine and remote learning have left many bored, it has allowed more time to explore creativity with baking and trying new things otherwise wouldn’t have tried before.

“During online school, I was constantly baking things,” junior Meghan Steward said. “There are so many different baking ideas on Tik Tok and Instagram. I had to try as many as I could.”

Many different baking trends gained national popularity, such as whipped coffee, two-ingredient oreo mug cakes, and lots of different types of bread baking.

“Baking and trying new things was kind of nice during this pandemic,” senior Isabella Stowers said. “I enjoyed making my own lunches during online school.”

In addition, students, such as junior Ryan Lamb, said that quarantine allowed him to get into baking.

“Although I am back in school in person, I still had fun learning new things I wouldn’t have done before,” junior Ryan Lamb. 

Social media has allowed for its audience to create new trends. Students such as Steward said quarantine has allowed her to “be open to different types of food.”

“I’m a picky eater, but remote learning and this pandemic have taught me how to be open to different types of food,” Steward said.

Ingredients

Burrito In A Mug

• Cooked white rice
  • Canned refried beans
  • Pico de gallo
  • Tortilla chips
  • Spoonful of sour cream (optional)
  • Squeeze of lime (optional)

Directions

• The original recipe calls for cooked white rice. To fry the rice, combine 1 part rice to 2 parts water in a bowl. 
  • Cover the bowl and microwave on high until all of the water is absorbed. Around 10 minutes, after the rice is done, take a couple of scoops to fill the bottom of the mug. You Put as little or as much as desired.
  • Take a can of refried beans and put it in the bowl to heat up. Follow the directions on the can to cook the beans, typically 90 seconds. 
  • Remove the refried beans from the bowl, scoop some beans on top of the rice. Put as little or as many as desired.
  • Add  2 tablespoons of pico de gallo and place the pico de gallo on top of the beans and rice.
  • Mix the rice, beans, and pico de gallo together.
  • Break handful of tortilla chips into pieces so they fit in a mug, or =use the burrito mug as a dip for your chips.
  • Optional: Finish off the burrito with a spoonful of sour cream and a squeeze of a lime.

One Bear’s Notes

• The measurements of the ingredients are all up to the chef and what they would like. I The burrito mug has no strict measurements and lends itself to variation. 
  • Try  fried rice over regular white rice, or even brown rice for a healthier option. 
  • This option is a great meal option during remote learning, since it is an easy to make full course meal and have time to eat. It’s quick, simple, and filling
  • Although it’s called burrito in a mug, it’s more like nachos; try replacing the chips with strips of tortilla.
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones
    Katie Jones

Katie Jones

Ingredients

Mac N Cheese In A Mug

• ⅓ cup elbow pasta
  • ¾ cup cold water
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • ½ teaspoon cornstarch
  • 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
  • Salt and pepper to your liking

Directions

• Add the elbow pasta and the water in a mug. 
  • Microwave for about 3 ½ minutes. The water should boil and the pasta fully cooked.
  • If there is leftover water, pour it out so just the noodles are left. 
  • Combine the milk, cornstarch, and shredded cheddar cheese in with the noodles in the mug.
  • Microwave for another minute so the cheese becomes gooey and delicious!
  • Season with salt and pepper.

One Bear’s Notes

• Experiment with different toppings, such as bacon or grinded up hot cheetos. The options are limitless.
    • This option is great as a lighter meal option than the burrito in the mug, or make this as a snack in between classes during remote learning.
    • Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave, so check up on the mac n cheese every 30 seconds.
      Katie Jones
      Katie Jones
      Katie Jones
      Katie Jones

Ingredients

Nutella Mug Cake

• ¼ cup self-rising flour
      • ¼ cup white sugar
      • 1 egg, beaten
      • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
      • 3 tablespoons nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread
      • 3 tablespoons milk
      • 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
      • Whipped cream (optional)
      • Ice cream (optional)
      • Chocolate chips (optional)
      • Chocolate drizzle (Optional)

Directions

• Beat together sugar, egg, milk, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl
      • Add in the flour, cocoa powder, and the chocolate hazelnut spread.
      • Whisk together until smooth.
      • Pour into a mug.
      • Cook in the microwave for 30 second increments for 90 seconds.
      • Top it off with a choice of whipped cream, chocolate chips, chocolate drizzle, etc.

One Bear’s Notes

• This cake is a perfect dessert with lunch! It takes about five minutes MAX to make, so it is a great option for something quick and easy during online classes or studying.
      • Spray the mug with canola spray, to avoid sticking to the mug.
      • Add chocolate chips in the batter, so it’s extra chocolatey.
      • Try whipped cream, chocolate chips, sprinkles or anything that goes well with cake.
        Katie Jones
        Katie Jones
        Katie Jones
        Katie Jones

Katie Jones