Winfield Makes an Entrance

While students are busy at work, Assistant Principal Kevin Winfield digs through his costume closet, preparing to do what he enjoys most – dressing up to entertain students. He sifts through the piles of costumes until he finds the one he’s looking for. After slipping on his favorite costume, the Grinch, he skips to the nearest classroom to give the students inside a much needed laugh. 

For five years, Winfield served as an assistant principal at MJH. However, for the upcoming 2020-2021 school year, he is making the leap to high school to become the Class of 2024’s assistant principal.

“I am a second generation educator, so as a kid I’d always dreamed of becoming a coach and teacher,” Winfield said. 

Winfield graduated from Texas A&M University with a major in Education and Kinesiology, and a minor in History. He has taught for a total of 12 years, and has eight years of experience as an assistant principal. He says he hopes that this transition to the high school level will lead towards his ultimate goal of becoming a building principal. 

“I’m excited to experience the more mature phase of the student’s lives,” Winfield said. “One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced so far is getting to know my way around campus; it is a large school compared to the junior high.”

Winfield said he sees the difference between junior high students and high school students. He said that some of the biggest differences are maturity levels and access to career paths.

“You can carry on a conversation with a sixteen or seventeen year old,” Winfield said. “You can’t do that at junior high.”

Winfield is also bringing his outlook on school policies, and perspective on the education system. 

“We have a handbook for a reason, but it really just comes down to treating people the right way,” Winfield said. “Treat people the way you want to be treated, and they will return the favor. I want to enforce that students treat each other and adults with respect.” 

Due to the current events regarding COVID-19, school policies have changed. Students are given the option to utilize remote learning or attend school in person. Winfield said he misses being around students and said it’s not as easy to connect with them virtually. 

“School is not just about learning what is in the book, it’s learning about how to interact with each other and interacting with your teachers, and that’s what’s missing, the social interaction.” 

Winfield has some advice for students who are struggling with any part of student life, and said it has contributed to his success as an educator. 

“You have to find a way to like everything about your job, if you can find a way to love the thing you hate the most in school or life, you find that everything else gets really easy,” Winfield said. “You become a better student, and a better person.”