Local Mental Health Deteriorates

Lauren Maciariello, Author

In the wake of a global pandemic, senior activities have been cancelled or changed, sports seasons have been suspended, teenagers have been isolated from their peers and there is a looming unknown for the future.
“I feel like I can’t be excited for anything right now,” sophomore Kennidee Middleton said. “Everything I’ve been excited for might be cancelled.”
The earliest students in the Houston area are expected to return to school May 4 for the last few weeks of school.
“I really want to go back,” senior Lauryn Sutherland said. “Everybody wants those last day memories.”
Due to Texas A&M being shut down, senior graduation has been moved from Reed Arena to the high school football stadium May 22 at 8:30pm.
“I think it’s a great accommodation by the high school to still give us a normal experience,” senior Alyssa Chavez said.
All UIL events such as softball, baseball and academic contests have also been suspended through May 4.
“I’m disappointed about missing out on my track season,” sophomore Blake Williams said. “The only thing I looked forward to all year was competition and with that cancelled, I don’t know what to be excited about.”
College Board has moved all Advanced Placement, AP, testing to online. Along with moving online, AP tests have been shortened from up to four hours to 45 minutes.
“As a student that’s extremely involved, the quarantine is ruining a lot,” junior Kalani Hayden said. “AP exams are now not what I’ve been preparing for. I’m losing out on a large fraction of my high school experience.”
Many classes have weekly meeting via Zoom and are posting assignments on Google Classroom.
“It’s really disappointing to have lost my senior year,” senior Jordan Barton said. “I had my last time joking around with my friends in class, and I didn’t even know it.”
Montgomery County is under a stay at home order, meaning many seniors have had extra time with their families before heading off to college.
“It has been amazing to get some extra time at home with my family,” Sutherland said. “But I miss having a routine and seeing my friends. I’ve learned to not take anything for granted and to appreciate any moment you get with the people you love.”