Girls’ Swim State Team places 5th at State Meet

Samantha Nordstrom

Haley Nelson, Jolie Daspit, Kaitlyn Weightman, and Kendall Wilson smile with their banner after placing fifth overall in the state meet.

Samantha Nordstrom, Writer

To represent MHS, the girls’ state swim team traveled to Austin, TX to compete in the UIL State swim meet on Friday, Feb. 14 and Saturday, Feb. 15.

“It was exciting watching the girls swim at State,” head swim coach Dale Villemez said. “I was worried when they struggled at prelims, but everybody swam faster at finals. I was very proud of them.”

Four girls swam at State this year. Senior Jolie Daspit competed in the 50 and 100 yard freestyle. Sophomore Kaitlyn Weightman competed in the 200 yard and 500 yard freestyle. Senior Haley Nelson, junior Kendall Wilson, Daspit and Weightman joined together to compete in the 200 yard freestyle and 400 yard freestyle relays.

“I’m so proud of all the girls,” Weightman said. “Everyone has worked hard all season and they deserve success more than anyone. I’m so thankful to be a part of this team.”

Daspit placed sixth in the 50 yard freestyle and third in the 100 yard freestyle, earning a bronze medal. Weightman placed seventh in the 200 yard freestyle and fifth in the 500 yard freestyle. Villemez also earned the National Federation of High Schools state coach of the year award.

“I was very proud of the award, but I know that I really earned it because of the hardworking girls we’ve had on the team,” Villemez said. “I’m so proud of everything they’ve accomplished.”

The girls 400 yard freestyle relay placed fourth in the meet. The girls 200 yard freestyle relay placed second in the meet and earned silver medals, which racked in the points needed to place. Overall, the girls placed fifth place at the meet.

“My adrenaline was pumping during the 200 free relay,” Wilson said. “I knew it was the last time we could try to earn a medal, so I let that push me for my leg of the relay.”

Besides the four girls swimming, Villemez brought three other girls as a part of the state team. Senior Katie Beth Dowell attended the meet as team manager, senior Morgan Whitaker came as an alternate, and junior Samantha Nordstrom came as the team photographer.

“I enjoyed being able to go to state and finish my swimming career in such a great way,” Dowell said. “I was so grateful I was able to help make sure the girls had everything they needed to swim their best.”

With the State meet completed, the swim season is finally over. For the two seniors, Daspit and Nelson, this was their last high school swim meet in their swimming careers. Daspit will be continuing her swimming at Texas A&M University next year, and Nelson will say goodbye to her swimming to focus on her business studies at A&M.

“I gave this meet all I had,” Nelson said. “I made memories that I will always cherish with all of my favorite people. State 2020 is definitely a meet I will remember for the rest of my life.”