Football Celebrates End Of 2019 Season

Natalie Davis

The Montgomery Bears football team celebrated the end of their season with a banquet on Wednesday Jan. 15. 

“My favorite part about the banquet was when every person was called to the stage and we got to celebrate each other one last time.,” sophomore Brock Bolfing said. “It was great to look back on the season and see everything that we went through and accomplished.” 

Starting with the freshmen and moving up through the classes, head coach John Bolfing announced every player’s name as they walked across the stage and received a certificate. 

“I was very surprised to receive the JC Hooper Sophomore of the Year award,” sophomore Zach Cooper said. “It felt unreal hearing my  name called out.”

After the announcement of the players, each coach took turns to present different awards. The first award of the night was the JC Hooper Sophomore of the year award. Unlike other awards, the JC Hooper award recipient is decided on by the coaches rather than a team vote 

“It is truly an honor to receive such an amazing award,” junior Nick Afflito said. “I am truly blessed for the opportunities I have been given and the people who surround me on a daily basis.”

Offensive and Defensive linemen are not as well known as players such as the quarterback, runningbacks, or wide receivers. Afflito was named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman of the 2019 season.

“I went from being backup on JV to the leader of the Varsity defense,” junior Daniel Miregi said. “A lot of people did not think I could, and I even doubted myself as well, but I surprised myself and my teammates.”

Two games into the season, the team had multiple players that were unable to compete. The defensive line lost two players. Miregi, who had been second string at the start of the season, was placed in a starting position. Because of this, Miregi was voted for the Most Improved Defense award.  

“My older brother won the Colton Webb Spirit Award his senior year and my goal was to keep the streak going,” senior Keshon Hill said. “Hopefully my little brother can win it next year.”

The Colton Webb Spirit Award is given to the loudest and most supportive player on the team. Hill has won this award for the past two years.

“It takes a lot to be a captain,” senior Quincey Paulton said. “You have to have a great attitude, be coachable, dedication, and a drive to be better.”

Quincey Paulton, senior Mason Little, and senior Cole Morris and Brock Bolfing were announced as the captains of the 2019 season.  

“The seniors showed me what perseverance truly looks like,” Zach Cooper said. “Through every obstacle through the season, they inspired us to keep fighting.