One Last Swim: Seniors Recognized at Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haley Nelson walks across the bulkhead on Senior Night.

Samantha Nordstrom

Samantha Nordstrom

Samantha Nordstrom

Samantha Nordstrom, Writer

Not only was it the last home swim meet of the season, it was also senior night on Thurs. Jan. 9 at 6:00 p.m. at the MISD natatorium.

“It was really surreal to be recognized at senior night,” senior Haley Nelson said. “Last year I watched all my friends do it, and now it was my turn.”

According to head swim coach Dale Villemez, senior night is a time for the senior swimmers on the team to be recognized for their accomplishments and thanked for their dedication to the team.

“Senior night is sort of like a rite of passage for the seniors, since they’re going on to do other things and this is the last time they will swim in our pool,” Villemez said. “I think it means a lot to the seniors as well, simply because it’s one of those mile stones that they hit before graduation.”

The swim team had a total of six seniors recognized this year. When each senior was presented, he or she received the opportunity to announce their best events, favorite memories, and give thanks to their friends and families.

“Watching all the seniors get recognized was a big wake up call,” sophomore Cameron Harper said. “It made me realize how quickly time flies in high school, and eventually I’ll be the one being recognized.”

Seniors also get to announce what college they plan on attending and their major. Nelson is majoring in business at Texas A&M University, and senior Jolie Daspit received a swimming scholarship for Texas A&M.

“Signing to swim at A&M was the best feeling in the world,” Daspit said. “I’m so thankful to be a part of something so welcoming, and I never thought I would have the opportunity to swim at such an amazing school.”

Both Lake Creek High School and Willis High School attended the meet. Their seniors were also recognized. Montgomery girls won first place at the meet; however, the Willis boys, who placed first, out swam the Montgomery boys. The next upcoming swim meet is the District swim meet at Tomball High school on Sat., Jan. 25 at 9:30 a.m. The Region meet is Feb. 1 at Magnolia High School and the State meet is Feb. 14, at the University of Texas Swimming Center in Austin.

“District is going to be tough this year since we graduated a lot of people,” Villemez said. “My goal this year for the team is for everyone to try and swim new best times and send as many people to Region and State as possible.”