HOSA Testing for Area

Lauren Maciariello, Author

To get to Area or State, HOSA Future Health Professionals, previously called Health Occupation Students of America, members had to qualify through taking an online test in categories like Certified Nursing Assistant, biomedical laboratory science and pharmacology.

“HOSA lets students narrow down their interests in the healthcare field and really hone in on that area for competition,” HOSA sponsor Bobbi Hatzold said.

HOSA Future Health Professionals is an organization dedicated to exploring potential careers in medicine and competing against other schools. HOSA also does multiple fundraisers throughout the year like selling chocolate bars and Coins for Kids Cancer.

“I’m interested in the health science pathway, so it’s a light in the tunnel for what I want to be,” senior Mari Gonzalez said

Of the students who competed, seniors Tracy Tse and Keridyn Armstrong will move on to area to showcase their lab skills, and seniors Bailey Duncan, Briana Seepaul, and Taylor Charles will move on directly to State for further testing.

“HOSA is an organization that gives students an opportunity to improve their leadership and explore the medical path.” Tse said.

HOSA offers over fifty competitive events to choose from. They are divided into six sections: recognition, health science, health professions, emergency preparedness, leadership, and teamwork.

“To prepare, I studied my butt off,” Seepaul said. “For three months, I studied for this test.”

Some events like prepared speaking, public health, and biomedical debate don’t require a test, but rather a speech or action in person.

“I feel pretty good because I know a lot of people who are testing today, and they’re all nervous, but I don’t have to do that,” freshman Jacob Irving said.

HOSA students will be competing at Area on Jan. 14 and 15.

“HOSA has taught me that hard work gets you really far,” Tse said.