Saving Lives One Drop At a Time

Lauren Maciariello, Author

National Honor Society and HOSA Future Health Professionals partnered with MD Anderson to put on the first blood drive of the year. Unlike past years when the clubs partnered with St. Luke’s, there will be two blood drives this year.

“Ideally, volunteering and donating are seen as habits that we are developing instead of just one time actions,” NHS sponsor Laura Sullivan said. “Anyone who volunteers regularly in any way knows that service to others is a rewarding experience, so hopefully those students helping out at the blood drive – both the donors and the volunteers – will see how others have benefited from their actions and be inspired to continue to help out here at school and in the community in meaningful ways.”

HOSA students were able to get an up-close and personal look at a potential career path.

“I myself am in the medical pathway,” senior Mari Gonzales said. “Hopefully one day I’ll be taking blood and helping children out, so it’s very impactful for me to see everyone giving blood.”

There were 94 students and staff members that registered to give blood. Each donation impacts three lives so, because of the turn out, the school was able to impact 246 lives.

“I thought volunteering at the blood drive would be a good opportunity to be a part of something that makes a lasting difference in the world,” senior Lauryn Sutherland said. “The donors saved hundreds of lives and it was a rewarding feeling to have been a part of it.”

Volunteers helped by delivering passes to classes, walking students back to class, and providing moral support to those students afraid of needles.

“The best part was being moral support for the students who were about to pass out because I felt like I was helping someone stay conscious and that to me is everything,” Gonzales said.

Many volunteers and donors had been personally affected by blood donations, whether it be themselves or their family.

“Just before the blood drive, a student approached me in the cafeteria to tell me about her own cancer treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center when she was younger,” Sullivan said. “It was really touching to hear how appreciative she was of the care she received there, which included blood transfusions, and to see her happy and healthy at school now. There are many other students, teachers and staff here who have gone through cancer treatments or needed blood products during their health care, so it makes it that much more meaningful to see our students making those blood donations.”