Legos Aren’t Just for Kids, They’re for All Ages and Populations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshmen Rylee Ashabran, Grace Tilley, and Bella Yarnall build population pyramids out of Legos.

Dayna Lawson

Dayna Lawson

Dayna Lawson

Dayna Lawson, Adviser

To understand the concept of population pyramids, Mrs. Becky DeBrosse’s Freshman World Geography classes use Legos to make a visual representation of various cultures and countries, which each have a unique population pyramid.

“The activity helps me connect more and understand how population works in the real world,” freshman Grace Tilley said.

After taking notes earlier in the week, the students were given various real life populations that the class had to represent with Legos, populations such as a More Developed Country, a retirement community in Florida, a nation with many migrant workers, and the United States, which included the Baby Boomers.

“The visual, hands-on representation is a better way for me to remember the information,” freshman Bella Yarnall said.

Each Lego represented an age group. The population of that age group was represented by the length of the Lego. For example, in Tilley, Yarnall, and freshman Rylee Ashabran’s group, they had to represent a college town; therefore, they used shorter Legos to represent children and the elderly since college towns don’t have a lot of people that age. The group used the longest Legos for the 18-30 range since most college students are in that age range.

“I was able to visualize what I learned from the notes and understand quick increases and decreases in populations,” Ashabran said.