Figuring Out Life After MHS

Lauren Maciariello and Jesee Dunkerson

ApplyTexas, a website where students apply for college,  opened July 1. While some students are already receiving acceptance letters, some are still figuring out what they want to do.

“I will probably stay in Texas,” senior Kevin Johnson said. “ There’s some schools that interest me out of state, but i’m not sure yet.”

For those still figuring out what they want to do, there are tons of options other than college, such as military, trade schools. and certifications. Students can go by the counseling center to set up an appointment to look at other options.

“We are here to meet the needs of all students.” College and career counselor Stacy  LaBruyere said.

Senior Carly Fleming said she is looking at a non-traditional college route through the Naval Academy. Getting into the Naval Academy requires two nominations from  their district representative, a state senator, the Vice President, or the President. After the nomination, they go through an interview process with an officer who previously attended the academy.

“I have always wanted to join the military, and being accepted into the academy would allow for that without having to start from the very bottom by enlisting,” Fleming said. “This provides more opportunities to hone in and work on leadership potential and capability.”

Some students want to stay close to home while others are looking at out of state options. Senior Bradley Szatny received his acceptance to Arizona and is planning to major in Computer Science.

“I have always wanted to go out of state,” Szatny said. “I’ve lived in Texas my whole life, so I’m long overdue for a change in where I live.”

Along with college applications, many students are applying for scholarships. With college prices being thousands of dollars, LaBruyere said all students are welcome to come Sept. 10 to the FASFA fiesta. FASFA stands for free application for federal student aid . By applying to FASFA, students could get thousands of dollars in grants or loans towards their education. This event is for students and parents to have an opportunity to connect with financial aid officers and use the computer labs. Some students, like Trey Phillipi, pay for college through scholarships. Phillipi is going to Rice on a full scholarship to play football.

“There is lots of hardwork put in to be able to be in this situation,” Philipi said. “It feels cool that I am getting the oppurtunity to play big football while getting an even better education.”

Applications and college essays take time. Students first have to fill out their ApplyTexas application. This includes essays, short answers, and compiling every club, organization, and all service hours since freshman year. After that is processed by the university, students have to send in transcripts and recommendation letters. 

“Applications are really stressful,” Szatny said. “Once I received my acceptance letter, it felt like complete relief.”

There are open lab times in the counseling office from 6:30am-4:30pm. Students can go online and sign up for college visits on the College and Career website. LaBruyere is bringing multiple universities to campus to speak to students about admissions and campus life. 

“Take a deep breath,” LaBruyere said. “Take it one application at a time”