Russell Messecar: Running for School Board

Back to Article
Back to Article

Russell Messecar: Running for School Board

Jenna Karrer and Dyson LeVasseur

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Born and raised in Montgomery, Russell Messecar is a fourth-generation citizen of Montgomery and a 1989 graduate from Montgomery High School. Living on the land that was purchased by his great grandmother after World War II and hoping to follow the steps of his grandfather, Russell Messecar is running for MISD Board of Trustees Position Seven in the upcoming election on Sat., May 4.

“I’m from Montgomery and for Montgomery,” Messecar said. “I want to be there so the kids have every opportunity available just like I did.”

After graduating from high school, Messecar moved to Montana, where he played football and attended college. After a year, Messecar moved back to Texas and began working for his father.

“It was just too far away from home,” Messecar said. “I came back here for another year doing my associates, working with my dad, and I was just thinking I wanted to go help my dad.”

As an owner of a construction and trucking company for 29 years, Messecar said he attended school board meetings for the past eight months to ensure he could make the time commitment.

“I’ve owned a small construction and trucking company business since I was 20 years old, and I’ve had full-time employees since I was 22,” Messecar said. “I’m busy.”

As a past graduate, Messecar said he has always wanted to serve on the school board because he feels like he can relate to the students. Areas that are important to Messecar are attendance rates, employee salaries and vocational opportunities.

“We’re at about 95 percent attendance rate right now, and everyday you’re in class, the district gets a certain dollar amount,” Messecar said. “If we could get the community to get kids to school and raise the attendance rate to about 96 percent, that’s about another million dollars a year from the state we could get.”

To implement this, Messecar said it is important to raise awareness about the personal contributions within each household. Another topic he would like to address is the current salary for all employees in the district.

“One thing the district can do better is to continue to be competitive in the salaries for employees in the district,” Messecar said. “For instance, I’ve got a guy who is going to work for me in a few weeks, and his wife drives all the way to Willis to drive a school bus because they make three dollars more an hour.”

In addition to attendance rates and employee salaries, Messecar said the vocational program is important to him.

“I would like to see a push towards vocational because that’s a good way to go for people who don’t want to go to college,” Messecar said. “62 percent of the kids last year went to a two or four year school, which leaves 38 percent. We need to focus on that.”

Overall, Messecar would like to keep the community informed about current issues that can affect people in Montgomery.

“I think it’s important for parents to understand how state legislation is affecting us right here,” Messecar said. “Up until about a year ago, I was worried about stuff on a national level because that’s all you hear about on the news, but the stuff happening here locally affects us more than what is going on in Washington.”

With concerns from students about the current school start time, Messecar said he does not see it happening from an extracurricular standpoint, but he would research and ask questions about the topic.

“I’m not afraid to ask questions if I don’t know the answer, and that’s part of why I think I’d be good on the school board,” Messecar said. “You know, you got seven people, and each and every person has different life experiences, different qualifications, and they do different things for a living. I care about the kids in the community. As an overseer, I want people knowing that’s what they have in me.”