The Grizzly Growl

Gary Hammons: Managing End Results for Best Results

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katie Jones and Colin Jones

Sitting in the auditorium, Gary Hammons watches the stage lights fade up on his son, Jakeob Hammons, sharing his passion of theatre in a performance. He stands and applauds as soon as the scene ends, proudly smiling to himself over the hard work his son puts forth in every performance.

Hammons is a chief financial officer (CFO) for a directional drilling company, Quintana Energy Services where he deals with finances behind the scenes. He is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). He is running for position 7 on the school board of the Montgomery Independent School District.

“My background is in accounting,” Hammons said. “I’ve been a CPA since 2008, so I’ve worked in CPA firms, industry and also did tax audits.”

Hammons said he is running for the financial outlook in hopes to make better decisions involving the amount of money being spent through the Robin Hood Plan that provides court-mandated equitable school financing for all school districts in Texas. However, school districts have no control over the Robin Hood Plan.

“The idea of the Robin Hood Plan is great but the actuality is not working up to that theory,” Hammons said. “There is more money being spent than being earned.”

With the amount of money earned by the district, a 6.9 million budget deficit was made through the Robin Hood Plan due to money going to the state instead of to the school districts in need.

“It’s not a simple transfer of wealth from one district to another district,” Hammons said. “It’s a transfer of wealth from one district to the state and the state gives it out as they see fit.”

Along with his goal of fixing the amount of money being spent, Hammons plans to make further advancements to prepare students to be self-sustaining once they graduate from high schools.

“Anything that takes from the high school experience that can translate into a self-sustaining career later on is great, whether that goes to college, the army, or trade school,” Hammons said.

Hammons went right into the army from high school in 1991. After spending five years in the army, he decided he wanted to go to college. In 1996, he started at Stephen F. Austin State University and then graduated from Texas A&M Texarkana. From his experience, he said the education system should prepare someone to be independent, contributing people.

“I think anything from the educational standpoint should prepare someone to be self-sustaining once they graduate,” Hammons said.

Hammons also discussed looking into a later start time for high school students.

“There’s a trade off,” Hammons said. “If you have later start time, students will be let out of school later which would cause impacts with extracurricular activities, so either way there would be consequences.”

The number one thing Hammons says he wants the students of Montgomery High School to know about him is his qualifications and experience.

“In this position, you need to have a nice diversity of inputs,” Hammons said. “I think my qualifications and experience will bring another set of viewpoints into the board to make better decisions.”

About the Writers
Katie Jones, Staff

This is Katie's first year on the newspaper staff. She enjoys acting, singing, making music, and studying zoology. She is in the Productions Theatre class...

Colin Jones, Staff

I am a junior, and this is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am a lover of sports, cars, movies, video games, space and music. I love road trips...