Ruby’s Story Finishes One Act Play Season

Katie Jones, Author

The theatre department finished their One Act Play season of “Ruby’s Story” with a performance on Tue., March 26, after competing in zone and district competition.

“One Act Play was a memorable experience for me because of the family we built and all the important lessons we learned,” freshman Meghan Steward said.

During their zone competition, awards were given out to the actors and actresses in the show. Senior Erica Owens, who played ‘Rose’, and sophomore Lily Henns, who played ‘Adult Ruby’, won medals for ‘Honorable Mention.’ Sophomore Lauren Ferro, who played ‘Frieda’, and freshman Bryce Russell, who played ‘Walter’, won medals for ‘All Star Cast.’

“I am extremely proud of the work and effort our cast put into Ruby’s Story,” sophomore Maddie Rodriguez said. “The awards given out were well deserved.”

The technical theatre crew and cast also won a plaque for ‘Best Crew’ in the Zone competition.

“I am proud of the crew and cast for their hard work and determination being paid off,” sophomore Jacob Hammons said.

During their district competition, Owens won an award for ‘All Star Cast’ and Ferro won an award for ‘Honorable Mention.’ The ‘Best Actress’ award went to Lauren Maciariello. On their technical team, Hammons won a medal for ‘Best Technician.’

“My most memorable moment was when Lauren Maciariello won best actress at district because I respect her so much as a person and an actress,” Henns said. “I wholeheartedly believe she deserved it.”

Many students, including Henns agree that being apart of One Act Play was not about winning.

“The number one thing I learned was that One Act Play is something so much bigger than myself,” Henns said. “In my opinion, One Act Play is about telling a beautiful story that impacts people.”

“Ruby’s Story” did not advance past district, but Rodriguez says the cast is most proud of the story they were honored to share.

“Although we didn’t advance, we are extremely proud of the work we did,” Rodriguez said. “It’s not about winning, it’s about learning and impacting others.”