• April 22NHS Senior Collaring tonight in the auditorium at 6 p.m.

• April 22District School Board early voting begins today at your local polling center until 5 p.m.

• April 22Happy Earth Day!

The Grizzly Growl

MCJROTC Competes at Region 5 Drill Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

MCJROTC Competes at Region 5 Drill Meet

Armed Regulation marching, commanded by Executive Officer senior Jonathan Ledet

Photo by Leah Mock

Photo by Leah Mock

Photo by Leah Mock

Leah Mock, Author

Varsity MCJROTC traveled to The Woodlands College Park High School on Sat., Mar. 23 for the Region 5 Drill Championship Meet. They competed against more than 20 other schools from Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

The 10 students with the best previous Inspection scores competed in Inspection at 7:15 a.m.

“I think overall we all did very well in Inspection,” senior Natalie Jiminez said. “Unfortunately, the room was very hot because the A/C wasn’t on.”

Armed Regulation competed at 9:12 a.m. Senior and Executive Officer Jonathan Ledet commanded the drill team.

“I messed up in the beginning, but all around the team did fine,” Ledet said. “We were supposed to turn right, and I turned left. It didn’t put us out of bounds, but I had to add commands.”

Color Guard, commanded by junior Carly Fleming, competed at 10:12 a.m.

“We did really well when you look at the scorecard, but I got a 20 point deduction because my left rifle’s foot hit the ground,” Fleming said. “Every movement is on a 10 point ratio, and we got mostly nines and eights. However, after the 20 point deduction, I don’t think we’re going to place.”

Unarmed Exhibition competed at 11:12 a.m. Junior Trent Boehm said he felt the drill team did really well.

“I didn’t see anything that we messed up on,” Boehm said. “We can’t really tell how well we did unless we watch the other teams. However, I think we’re better than the other schools.”

Armed Exhibition competed at 2:12 p.m.

“I feel like we did the best we’ve done all season,” senior Adam Bienek-Parrish said. “Even if we didn’t place, it was a major improvement over the start of the season.”

Unarmed Regulation competed at 4:12 p.m.

“My teammates and I made extreme improvements with our movements, and I’m very proud of how hard we worked,” sophomore Lindsey Albert said. “Sometimes competition results don’t completely reflect that, but I am proud of how far we have come since August.”

Some students in MCJROTC who are not on Varsity came on the trip to be Judges’ Assistants. Sophomore Chandler Burnett helped judge the Color Guard team of another school.

“It was actually really fun, and I would do it again,” Burnett said. “I learned how the Varsity Drill Meets work and about the stuff behind the scenes.”

The Color Guard team received fourth place and students in Inspection received fifth place. Albert, senior Iveth Quezada, and sophomore Evelyn Prochaska were part of the Color Guard team.

“I was honestly shocked about placing so high because of the 20 point deduction,” Fleming said. “That tiny mistake was a pretty big deal for the team, but I’m very proud of how the other girls performed at the meet.”

Fleming also got second place individually as a Color Guard commander.

“They released score cards, and for my commander score I made 48/50,” Fleming said. “If it weren’t for marching out of bounds, we most likely would’ve placed in top three, and I possibly would’ve gotten the best commander score.”

About the Writer
Leah Mock, Staff

Leah is a senior who plans to study English Literature at Southwestern University. She is excited about her first year on the newspaper staff. Leah competes...