HOSA goes to Mont Belvieu for Area 6 Spring Leadership Conference

Colin Jones, Author

Health Occupations Students of America competed at the Area 6 Spring Leadership Conference in Mont Belvieu, Texas on Sat., Feb. 9.

“Our team did extremely well,” HOSA sponsor, Mrs. Anne Walker, said. “We had 6 students attending the conference and three of them qualified to go to state. We also had three qualify for state competition directly from the online testing, for a total of 6 students qualifying for state competition.”

Senior Hailey May placed second in Clinical Nursing and qualified for state.

“Personally, I think I did well,” May said. “It was my first time competing in that event so I did not know what to expect, but with the help of my health science teachers, I was well prepared.”

Coming in at third for Prepared Speaking and qualifying for state was junior and HOSA officer, Lauren Maciariello.

“I was really proud of us,” Maciariello said. “There was only 6 of us competing at area and 50% of us moved on to state. That stat is really impressive when you consider the larger schools that may only have one or two kids moving forward.”

At this conference, there were 110 schools represented and 1300 students attending.

“I was very proud of our team’s results,” junior Natalie Hasselmeier said. “Regarding myself, I thought I did bad because I was nervous. Surprisingly, though, I was able to place third in Sports Medicine and advance to state.”

At the State competition, this year held in San Antonio on March 28-30, the top 3 in all competitions will advance to International competition. Internationals will be held in Orlando this year.

“I want them to have experienced as much as possible in their chosen fields, and I want them to realize the importance of service,” Walker said. “The mission of HOSA is to empower Future Health Professionals to become leaders in the global health community through education, collaboration, and experience.”