• March 19District board meeting tonight at the Montgomery District Office

• March 19Home baseball game tonight against Tomball starting at 4:30

• March 19Today is the last day of winter

The Grizzly Growl

Girls’ Varsity Track Team Places Second

Katie Jones, Author

A varsity track meet was held on Feb. 22 at Tomball Memorial where the varsity girls’ team was the top 5A finisher and placed second overall.

“I think we did really well as a team,” senior Allison Dennis said. “Montgomery girls placed second overall at a very competitive meet.

The varsity team achieved 13 personal records (PRs) out of the 15 events held at this competition.

“Everyone performed extremely well,” coach Chance Edwards said. “We had a lot of personal records and three schools go down.”

Dennis’ relay team won third place in the 4×100 meter relay and in the distance medley relay (DMR).

“I was able to get a PR in the 200, and my relay team and I placed third in 4×100 and DMR,” Dennis said.

Students athletes this season who have made an exceptional amount of progress include distance runners senior Halena Rahmaan and Allison Wilson, discus competitor senior Ashley Dennis, shot put thrower and senior Deshayla Mallard and junior hurdler Anna Denbigh.

“These athletes are doing exceptionally well this season because of their tireless work ethic,” Edwards said.

Rahmaan and Wilson achieved a record of running the two fastest two mile times in the nation.

“I think I did great for my two mile season opener,” Wilson said. “It was a successful meet to say the least.”

Senior Ashley Dennis won first place and attained a personal record in discus.

“I think I did really good at this meet,” Dennis said. “I broke my own school record for discus and got first place.”

For the future, the team’s goal is to win the District championship and to send many student athletes to the Regional and State meets.

“As for future meets, I hope that my track team is District Champions this year,” Dennis said. “My overall goal would be making it to State.”

About the Writer
Katie Jones, Staff

This is Katie's first year on the newspaper staff. She enjoys acting, singing, making music, and studying zoology. She is in the Productions Theatre class...