HOSA Starts Competition Season 

Lauren Maciariello, Writer

Competing in different health events which test creativity, speaking skills, and over-all medical knowledge, Health Occupation Students of America, HOSA, will travel to Mount Belvieu for the competition on Feb. 8.

“When you find something you are finally passionate about, you don’t just try and achieve it in one sitting,” senior Thaylorah Straughter said. “It takes massive amounts of hard work.”
HOSA has meetings almost every Tuesday before school and officer meetings before school on Fridays. Students in classes like Health Science Theory, Anatomy, and Clinical Rotations are all encouraged to take part.

“HOSA is important to me because it gives me a chance to explore the options within the medical field,” junior Bailey Dunkan-K said.

The members choose a competitive event in September that interests them and spend the next few months studying that topic.

“It is always best to start preparing for competitions early, as the day of competition does just sneak up on everyone,” Straughter said.

With over 50 events to choose from, the members have a variety to learn about like healthcare issues, certified nursing assistant, extemporaneous health poster, prepared speaking, and even veterinary sciences.

“I researched the most prevalent health problems today and facts related to them to prepare for the Extemporaneous Health Poster event,” junior Gabrielle Caldwell-Pina said.

Besides competition, HOSA has also been involved in numerous service activities like blankets for seniors, the blood drive, and sponsoring a child for angel gifts.

“HOSA has so many activities that really help you interact with your peers and close friends,” junior Mari Gonzalez said.

With almost $200 raised for their last charity, Coins for Kids Cancer, HOSA is busily planning their next fundraising idea. All members have the opportunity to join the planning committees to decide the next project.

“HOSA is important because it helps everyone learn leadership skills while also improving their people skills,” Straughter said.

This year HOSA members attended a leadership convention where they were able to meet and learn from people from different medical fields. The convention featured therapists, surgeons, and even combat medics.

“HOSA lets you bring people in that have no idea what they want to do in health care or already have something in mind and really expand those ideas of what is out there,” Gonzales said.

Nine people qualified for competition this year. If they place, they will advance to the State meet on March 28-30 in San Antonio.

“I didn’t join HOSA just because it looks good on transcripts, because you can earn an honor cord, or because my friends joined,” Straughter said. “I actually woke up one morning and said, ‘I want to be a neurosurgeon.’”