• April 22NHS Senior Collaring tonight in the auditorium at 6 p.m.

• April 22District School Board early voting begins today at your local polling center until 5 p.m.

• April 22Happy Earth Day!

The Grizzly Growl

Nineteen Students Advance to BPA State Leadership Conference

Leah Mock, Author

Representing our school in professional dress, Business Professionals of America traveled to Nimitz High School on Sat., Jan. 26 to compete in the Regional Leadership Conference. Nineteen students qualified in their individual or team events for the State Leadership Conference.

“I definitely did better than I expected,” junior Tracy Tse said. “The competition wasn’t as intense as last year, but it was definitely really stressful to hear the person next to me type faster than I was typing.”

Tse, junior Tiger Campbell and junior Kenzie Spreen formed a Computer Animation team. Originally, they were State alternates. On Thurs., Jan. 30, they found out they have been moved up and they will now be competing at State. The students are allowed to make changes to their projects and must submit their final product by Fri., Feb. 8.

“I don’t have much time to work on improving the animation,” Campbell said. “We might have to present it as is. My goal is to get to Nationals in my individual event, so I will focus on my individual event.“

Spreen said she is proud of what her team has accomplished. She wants to make revisions to her economic research paper.

“I am definitely going to take advantage of the opportunity to edit my work,” Spreen said. “I am planning on adding more to my paper and rehearsing my presentation for state.”

Senior Miranda Irvine is headed to State for the second year in a row. At Region, she competed in Network Design with her team and Advanced Spreadsheet Applications as an individual. She advanced to the State Leadership Conference in both of her events.

“Walking up to the stage was really rewarding for all of the work and studying I put into my events,” Irvine said. “To prepare for state, I am going to do old practice tests and study my Excel textbook.”

Junior Jonathan Rouse, who placed first in PC Troubleshooting and Servicing, said he did better than he thought he would. He, like Irvine, is also advancing to State for the second year in a row.

“Regardless of what I did to prepare, I never thought I would get this far,” Rouse said. “My goal more than anything is to follow my passion, and use my skills to help people.”

Rouse’s teammate in Broadcast News Production, senior Kamryn Foster, qualified for State in her individual event, Visual Basic. This is her first year in BPA.

“I’m hoping if I study enough and take the time to do so, I’ll be ready and prepared,” senior Kamryn Foster said. “I’m very excited to compete at State!”

About the Writer
Leah Mock, Staff

Leah is a senior who plans to study English Literature at Southwestern University. She is excited about her first year on the newspaper staff. Leah competes...