UIL Academics Competes at First Meet of the Year

Jenna Karrer, Author

Competing at Humble High School, the UIL Academics team participated in their first meet of the year on Sat., Jan 19.

“I had the best time at UIL,” senior Tori Johnson said. “Mrs. Lawson is an amazing coach and it was so fun to hang out with my other friends in UIL.”

Competing against over 600 students from 30 schools, students participated in competitions such as Computer Applications, Ready Writing, Copy Editing, Science, and Mathematics.

“This is my first year competing on the UIL team,” senior Tatum Hunt said. “I actually had a lot of fun, although most of my time is dedicated to studying the material.”

Between competitions, students can spend time studying, napping or hanging out with friends.

“I got to hang out with a bunch of my friends on the team, which helped build up my confidence for the test,” Hunt said.

During the event, a pop-up SubZero stand was available for students to purchase ice cream, and representatives from many colleges were there to talk with students.

“We ate a lot of snacks and the SubZero stand was so fun to have,” Johnson said. “We had a lot of fun.”

Johnson said students “jammed” to songs such as “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” and “Africa” on the bus ride home.

“I placed third in Copy Editing, so my goals for the upcoming meets are to place higher in my strongest competition and place in the top six in more competitions,” Johnson said.

Senior Lauren Cotton placed fifth in Ready Writing and said UIL Academic Coordinator and Journalism and Ready Writing Coach Dayna Lawson is a “really talented coach.” Cotton said she will spend more time working with Lawson to do better at future meets.

“This is my first year as UIL Academic Coordinator, and I had big shoes to fill,” Lawson said. “I was nervous about our first meet, but every coach and student did a tremendous job, and I couldn’t be prouder.”