Life Beyond MHS Decision Party

Students+wrote+their+name%2C+college+and+graduation+year+on+a+Jenga+piece.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Life Beyond MHS Decision Party

Students wrote their name, college and graduation year on a Jenga piece.

Photo by Dayna Lawson

Photo by Dayna Lawson

Photo by Dayna Lawson

Leah Mock, Author

To celebrate seniors who have made decisions about their futures, the College and Career Center hosted a pizza party in the West Cafeteria on Jan. 17 during seventh period.

“It feels great to be at this Decision Party,” senior Sydni Ward said. “The food was the best part. It’s great to be able to celebrate with my peers.”

Ward will attend East Texas Baptist University to study Mass Communications and Ministry. She is also planning to get her alternative teaching certification.

“Since freshman year, I’ve been stressing about what I’m going to do with my life, where I’m going to go, and applications,” Ward said. “To have it done is a relief, definitely.”

Senior Megan Aupperlee will attend Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX to study Theory Composition. She wants to work behind the scenes of animations and write music.

“It’s so relieving to know where I’m headed,” Aupperlee said. “The only stress I have now is applying for scholarships.”

Some students, like senior and MCJROTC Commanding Officer Jonathan Ledet, have decided to join the military before going to college.

“I’m going to join the Marine Corps,” Ledet said. “I’ll be in San Diego for 13 weeks, then I’ll be in San Antonio for two years training. I’ll probably go somewhere in Southeast Asia because I’m learning Korean.”

Senior Jonathan Downs, who has been taking flying lessons since he was ten years old, said this is the reason he wants to study Aerospace Engineering.

“Why not make a career out of it?” Downs said. “I don’t want to just be a pilot. I also want to be an engineer so I know what I’m doing while I’m flying.”

There will be another Decision Party for seniors this spring. Students can bring their acceptance letters to the College and Career Center to be invited.

“I’m super proud of everything the seniors have accomplished,” College and Career Coordinator Stacy LaBruyere said. “I need them to keep on trucking and apply for any and every scholarship opportunity.”