Presidential Brunch

Colin Jones, Author

Barbeque and iced tea were served at the inaugural Presidential Brunch to club presidents to recognize them on Thur., Nov. 15 in the east campus cafeteria.

“They catered barbeque from McKenzie’s, and most of the presidents were there,” said senior Grayson Constantine. “It was cool to have all the leaders in one room and to organize together because it’s never really been done before.”

Grayson is the club president for National Honor Society, Student Council and Debate. He is also holds membership in Mu Alpha Theta and Spanish Honor Society.

“As a leader you get that recognition of maturity and I really enjoy that.” Constantine said. “I like the ability for staff to treat me more as an adult rather than a kid.”

Senior Rachel Lathrop was elected to the Superintendent Leadership Council, which meets every month to discuss new initiatives to make the school a better place.

“I love leading by setting a good example,” Lathrop said. “I started at the bottom and worked my way up to secretary my junior year and then became president. So, I know how much work everyone puts in and it makes me appreciate my club that much more.”

Senior Lauren Cotton plans on attending The University of Texas at Austin to study business. She is the president of the Creative Writing Club and is a member of National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society and Debate.

“I have to make sure that we have a good theme first,” Cotton said of her responsibilities as president of Creative Writing Club. “I also make sure we have good snacks and everyone has a good time writing stuff.”

Senior Scott Lutte is one of the two drum majors for band. Additionally, he is on the Bear TV staff and a member of National Honor Society.

“I really wanted to help as much as I can with my organization,” Lutte said. “Being a drum major for me was the best possible way I could help underclassmen and be a good role model for them.”

Sophomore Pierson Piecznski is the president of his class and is involved with Student Council. Piecznski is also an Art Club president and he is on the boys’ soccer team.

“It’s made me look at life differently,” Piecznski said. “It makes you really understand the leadership side of things. You don’t realize all the work that goes on behind the scenes so that has made me more appreciative of things.”

Mrs. Laurie Zuelke, who is the student council sponsor, gave a piece of advice for any student wanting to run for club president.

“Be on time for anything you do,” Zuelke said. “Be confident in your abilities to hold the office and express your future goals for that club.”