The Grizzly Growl

Christmas Cracker Candy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas Cracker Candy

Photo by Kami Boutotte

Photo by Kami Boutotte

Photo by Kami Boutotte

Kami Boutotte, Author

When you realize on Christmas morning that you forgot to make a dessert to bring to Aunt Carol’s White Elephant potluck, do not fret! This recipe is quick, fairly simple, and tasty! Aunt Carol won’t chew you out, just on the candy.

Ingredients:

• cooking spray
  • 1-2 sleeves saltine crackers
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • crushed nuts, candy canes, or any other toppings you may want to add

Other supplies:

• aluminum foil
  • jelly roll pan or casserole dish

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray foil with cooking spray.
  3. Lay crackers evenly over foil, salted side up.
  4. In a small saucepan, bring butter and brown sugar to a simmer over medium heat. While the butter is melting, stir frequently to mix evenly. Once the mixture simmers, let simmer without stirring for 3 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and pour evenly over crackers.
  6. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Return pan to oven for 30 seconds to help melt the chips.
  8. Use a spatula or knife to spread melted chocolate evenly.
  9. Sprinkle pecans on top. Cover with aluminum foil so that foil doesn’t touch the chocolate and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
  10. Break into pieces & serve!

I have never made “Christmas Crack” before, but here are some things that I noted in the process:

• As I lined the pan with the crackers, I noticed that they did not fit perfectly into it. This is where you can use the broken crackers to fill the spaces around the edges.
  • When measuring out the light brown sugar, it is very important that you pack it into your measuring spoon (scoop and press sugar into cup until the cup is full). With brown sugars, recipes may call for it to be packed or unpacked. If you do not follow that instruction, you could end up with too much or too little sugar.
  • Do not overstir the butter and brown sugar mixture. The saying goes that a watched pot never boils, but truly it should be that a stirred pot never boils. If you continuously stir, it will take a very long time for it to reach the proper temperature. So, stir just enough to mix the two ingredients (about once every minute or so).
  • After the brown sugar and butter combine, you may notice that the mixture is light at the top and dark at the bottom. Don’t worry, this isn’t a sign you’re doing something wrong! The components of the mixture have different densities, so the frothy butter floats to the top. You should see a caramel color on the top and more of a chocolatey one on the bottom.
  • Be extremely careful when pouring the mixture over your crackers, this liquid is pretty close to boiling, so do your best not to spill it on anything but the crackers.
  • The original recipe calls for chopped nuts to be sprinkled over the top, but I crushed candy canes by putting them in a plastic bag and rolling over them, then sprinkled the pieces over the crackers instead.
  • The recipe says to put the crackers in the fridge so they may harden. However, DO NOT under any circumstances put a hot pan in a cold fridge. Doing so can raise the temperature of your fridge, causing the other food to spoil, or it can shatter the shelves (if made of glass), or melt the shelf (if made of plastic). Wait until the pan cools some before putting it in the refrigerator.
About the Writer
Kami Boutotte, Staff

Wow. A whole page about me.

Man, if only I had interests such as baking cakes, petting my adorable cat Sonnie, or reading books. If I did, I could talk...